Minutes approved at the July 24, 2012 Board Meeting


Potomac Valley Swimming

Board of Director’s Meeting

River Falls

7915 Horseshoe Lane

Potomac, MD 20854

June 13, 2012



·         Call to Order – The meeting was called to order by the General Chair, Riley Eaton at 7:10 pm.

·         General Chair Comments – There are several guests from the Arlington Long Bridge Park project here this evening to give the PVS board an overview of the planned Aquatic Facility in Arlington.  A member of the Arlington County Board and 2 project managers gave an update on the plan for the completion of the project. If everything continues to move forward, they hope to break ground in the summer of 2013 and should have it completed by August of 2015.

·         Proof of Quorum – There is not a sufficient number of voting board members in attendance for form a quorum. An e-vote will be sent out to complete several business items. As a reminder an e-vote is open for 48 hours, please respond to the e-vote in a timely manner.  

·         Action Items

o   Approval of April 16, 2012 Board Meeting Minutes – Motion to approve the minutes from the April 16, 2012 BoD Meeting, seconded [approved through e-vote on June 16, 2012]

o   Recap, proposals and review of May 16, 2012 Competition Committee Meeting –

§  The Officials Representative presented a concern expressed  a concern of the Official’s Committee with the proposed meet schedule for 2012-2013, it looks nearly identical to the schedule this past year and they are concerned about the ability to have all meets adequately staffed.

·         All clubs need to be aware they are expected to be able to staff the meet adequately in all positions. 

·         PVS hopes to have a document ready and/or holding a Meet Director workshop in the fall to help formulate and policy as to what is expected and what is not permitted when running a swim meet either as a PVS host or a club meet.

§  There needs to be a cooperative effort between the board, officials and all PVS clubs to increase the number of Officials in PVS and to ensure that all meets held in PVS are held to the same standards.  

§  Clubs need to communicate with their parents and strongly encourage their families/parents to become trained Officials.

§  The Competition Committee report was presented and an e-vote was sent out to approve the various motions present by the CCM. [All motions were approved by the e-vote on June 16, 2012]

o   Proposal for requirement of submitting reports & proposals - A proposal was made to require all reports be submitted to the CCM at least 10 days in advance in order to be placed on the agenda. This item is a change in P & P and therefore required a vote. [An e-vote was sent out and approved on June 16, 2012]

o   Update on 2012 Swimposium planning – The Swimposium date has been confirmed for Sunday September 30, 2012 at Washington Lee HS in Arlington. We will have the use of the 11 lane pool as well as various classrooms in the High School. USA Swimming has been contacted and are on board to help us find various presenters. Susan Woessner has also been contacted and will assist PVS in securing Praesidium as a presenter on the Safe Sport program. Additionally, Speedo and Mutual of Omaha have both sent information on securing athletes to come and do clinics for the athletes; more research will be done to decide which option will be the best for our needs.

§  The Official’s Committee has appointed Mike Rubin, Pam Starke-Reed and Dave DiNardo as liaisons to help with the Official’s track of the Swimposium and have already indicated several topics they would like to see covered at the event.

o   Proposal to open new bank accounts at BB&T Bank – This is a time sensitive issue and therefore requires immediate action. In order to vote Riley Eaton will be the proxy vote for Paris Jacobs.

§  Currently PVS has one CD for 140,000 thousand that is about to mature. Instead of leaving it in Wells Fargo, the Finance V-C and controller would like to move it to BB&T Bank.  

§  Motion to allow the Finance officers to open an account to BB&T (from Wells Fargo), seconded and approved.

o   Proposal for Life Membership in USA Swimming –

§  Feeling inspired by Riley and recognizing people in PVS who have given a lot to PVS. The Diversity Chair, Miriam Lynch would like to nominate Roger McCoy for a Lifetime Membership Award to be presented at the USA Swimming Convention in September.

·          Roger McCoy has contributed many, many years to the local swim community, particularly the Diversity Community done a lot for the local swim community, particularly the diversity community within PVS. He has offered free swim lessons, he has provided many trainings to coaches and swimmers and has continued to be a driving force for swimming the District.

·         This motion will be tabled for further discussion.  

o   Proposal from the Official’s Committee to update Meet Management Requirements –

§  A proposal has been prepared by the Official’s Committee with requirement for meet managers to follow. The Official’s representative decided to table the motion until next meeting when more board members are present for discussion.

o   Proposal to approve new PVS Team – Victory Lane Aquatics Club (VLAC) – An application has been received by PVS for a new team to join the LSC. Historically PVS follows the lead of USA Swimming. It was suggested we table the vote until we are informed that the team has been accepted by USA-S.

§  [USA Swimming approved Victory Lane Aquatic Club as a new PVS team, and e-vote was then submitted and the motion was approved through the e-vote on June 16, 2012].

·         Reports

o   Executive Director – see report submitted

o   Athlete Representatives – no report submitted

o   Administrative – no report submitted

o   Inclusion/Diversity – see reported submitted

§  Would like to continue the discussion on how the finances for the Black Heritage Meet can be run through PVS, similar to the Zone funding, instead of having a private club having to assume some of the financial responsibility. Discussion will continue at a future meeting.  

o   Webmaster – see report submitted

o   Technical Committee – see report submitted

o   Finance/Accounting – see report submitted. The finance workshop, which both Bob Vincent and John Ertter attended was very well presented.

o   Operations – no report submitted

o   Senior Swimming – HY-Tek, Active Network has released Meet Mobile on Droid and Apple. It is a free app that is set up similar to live results, but it runs directly off of Hy-Tek.

§  We now have 42 swimmers going to Olympic Trials.

o   Age Group Swimming – no report submitted

o   Coaches Representatives – see report submitted, the report was from the input from various coaches in the association.

o   Officials – see report submitted.

§  There is still a misunderstanding among meet directors on the use and need of timers. A document will be posted on the website in several places to help clear up any confusion. It will also be sent out to the meet directors and in Flash Mail.

o   Strategic Planning – no report submitted. The incoming Strategic Planning Chair and the outgoing Strategic chair will redo the athlete projection project.

o   Safety Committee – Adolph Keifer Safety Service Award Nomination form has been sent to the Safety Officer. He will take care of making any necessary nominations.

·         Round Table Talking Points

o   Recap of May 23, 2012 PVS HOD meeting – Riley felt the meeting went smoothly and thank you to everyone for being there. We need to make a better effort of getting more clubs to be represented. Please think about ways to help increase the attendance, if you have ideas please send them on.

o   Rita Page has retired as the Official’s Certification Officer. The PVS Board would like to thank her for her years of service. Lynne Gerlach has been named as her replacement, thank you Lynne for taking on the position.

·         Old Business Excluding  Action Items

o   Nothing submitted

·         New Business

o   Eastern Zones will have an Open Water meet on August 12, at Lake Anna – Christopher Run camp ground. Kurt Thiel will be the Open Water meet referee.

·         Next meeting will be determined at a later date.

·         Motion to adjourn, Seconded and approved.