Minutes approved at the June Board of Director’s Meeting


Potomac Valley Swimming

Board of Director’s Meeting

Lee-Graham Pool Community Center

7319 Lee Highway, Falls Church, VA 22042

April 16, 2012


·         Attendance – Board Members ; Paris Jacobs, Bob Vincent, Bill Marlin, Manga Dalizu, Jim Thompson, Scott Bryant, Emily Menard, Mike Rubin, John Kim, Brandon Fiala. Other Members – John Ertter, Tim Husson, Ward Foley, Art Davis, Jim Garner, Bill Stephens.

·         Call to Order – The meeting was called to order at 7:00 pm, by Paris Jacobs, Admin Chair.

·         General Chair Comments – Riley Eaton was not in attendance, but was available on Facetime throughout the entire meeting.

·         Action Items

o   Approval of March 5, 2012 Meeting Minutes - Motion to approve the Minutes from the March 5, 2012 Board of Director’s Meeting, seconded and approved.

o   Future use of Takoma Aquatic Center – Recently there was violent incident on the property of Takoma Community Center, during normal operating hours. Due to severity of this incident and other incidents during PVS events, Paris Jacobs immediately called for a meeting with DCPR and explained that PVS will be moving all PVS meets out of Takoma Aquatic Center until further notice. PVS will no longer endorse or host any meets at Takoma until reasonable actions have been put into place to ensure athlete safety. Riley Eaton stated that discussions will continue with members of DCPR and has requested that a formal action plan be developed. Discussions regarding the use of the facility at Takoma Community Center will continue at future Board meetings.

o   Annual Lifetime Service Award for PVSMotion to establish a Lifetime Service Award to honor individuals who have served PVS to be presented annually at the HOD meeting, seconded and approved.

o   Creation of Nominating Committee for the Lifetime Service AwardMotion to create a nominating committee consisting of the General Chair and two others to determine nominees annually, seconded and approved.

o   P & P Review & Approval – see notes

o   Olympic Trials PVS Officials SupportMotion that PVS reimburse any PVS Official that has been invited to work at Olympic Trials for the same the amount the Athletes reimbursed for. A recommendation from the Official’s Chair will also be requested from the BoD to ensure the Official is in good standing with PVS; second and approved.

o   HOD Planning

§  Logistics – Potomac Valley’s Annual House of Delegates meeting will be held at River Falls on Tuesday May 22. Dinner will be served at 6:30 and the meeting will begin promptly at 7:00 pm.

·         Clubs are reminded that athletes are requested to attend as 20% of the votes must be offered to the athletes. Please encourage an athlete from your club to attend.

§  Agenda – see posted draft agenda

o   2012-2013 Budget – PVS Treasurer, Bob Vincent and Controller, John Ertter presented the proposed 2012-2013 Budget to the Board of Directors to review and approve prior to the House of Delegates meeting on May 22. The treasurer, Bob Vincent, would like to thank John Ertter for his help in development of the proposed budget and for explaining the history of the PVS finances.

§  Propose to add three camps to the PVS Schedule for the 2012-2013 season and increase the camp budget to $6000 ($1500 for camp 1 and 2 and $3000 for a higher level camp).

·         New programs were to be added to the budget in the January/February timeframe to be added. It was proposed to table this discussion for now, bring it back at a more appropriate time. Currently there is some camp money in the proposed budget with a net zero amount ($1000 in, $1000 out), that amount will be increased to $3000, with a net of zero.

§  Background screening recertification – There is a recommendation that PVS should cover the recertification for Official’s Background Screening. Currently PVS reimburses Officials for the first time of their certification once they have worked the required number of meet sessions, but reimbursing for  recertification has not been previously been discussed.

·          With the understanding is that a recertification is roughly half of the original fee, it is estimated that the cost would be about $4000.

§  Motion to approve the budget with the changes ($4000 to cover Official’s registration and $3000 in and out for camps), seconded

·         Swimposium – planning for a Swimposium has been included into the budget. The net PVS subsidy is about $18,000.

·         The body was reminded that the CCM and BoD previously approved an increase in the 2013 SC PVS Championship meet fee $2 for all events (2013 SC Senior, Junior and 14 & U JO Championships).

§  Motion to approve the budget with the changes ($4000 to cover Official’s registration and $3000 in and out for camps, adjust in the revenue side for the $2 per event increase for 2013 Jr. & Sr. Champs and JO’s 2013), second and approved.

o   Revenue Savings – There were several money saving ideas recommended.

§  How do we travel to USA Swimming Convention – It will be recommended that all participates drive/carpool to the USA Swimming Convention in September 2012. The Convention will be held in Greensboro, NC which is within a 5-6 hours drive of the DC area.

§  Finding a sponsor for the Swimposium

·         Historically we lose money on the Swimposium. USA-S does give about $3000 to the host LSC to help defray the cost.

·         Paris Jacobs, who has coordinated several Swimposiums in the past indicated that we have used some sponsorship to help defray the cost.

§  Changing some of our banking arrangements. These ideas can be discussed at a later date.

§  Does the board endorse the concept the PVS look into securing pools for the 2013 LC Eastern Zone meet? All members in attendance indicated that they would support exploring the idea of the 2013 LC Easter Zone meet being held in PVS and asked John Ertter to look into pool rental for Zones and then send information out.

§  Linda Klopfenstein will take care of all hotel arrangements, including a suite for all PVS meetings, for the 2013 USA Swimming Convention in Greensboro, NC.

·         Reports

o   Executive Director – See report submitted.

o   Athlete Representatives – No report submitted.

o   Administrative – As reported earlier

o   Inclusion/Diversity – see report submitted.

§  Thank you to PVS and the Board members who participated in the Go for Gold Clinic this past weekend. The event was great success.

§  The Black Heritage Meet planning is underway. 126 athletes are planning to attend from various PVS teams.

o   Webmaster & Technical Committee – See Webmaster report submitted, See Technical Chair report submitted.

§  New email list – a list has been created for the Executive BoD for voting purposes. A list for the Extended BoD has also been created.

§  The Blast (News), has also been created and everyone in PVS has been invited through a posting the home page of the web site.

o   Finance/Accounting – see budget proposed.

o   Operations – no report submitted

o   Senior Swimming – no report submitted

o   Age Group Swimming – When you take away the issues at 14 & U JOs regarding the overcrowding in the stands, the meet ran extremely well. Tim and Barb did a great job as meet referees. The cuts were faster, but the meet was a similar size to last year.

o   Coaches Representatives – no report submitted

o   Officials – See report submitted.

o   Strategic Planning –  no report submitted

o   Safety Committee – See report submitted.

·         Round Table Talking Points

o   Eastern Zone Meeting in Ft. Lauderdale on May 12, 2012 – Nick Campbell will be participating as the PVS Athlete rep.

o   Recap of 2012 Spring SC Zone Meet in Webster NY – The meet went well. The team finished third this year. No major behavior issues, everyone had a good time and swam well.

·         Old Business Excluding Action Items – No old business.

·         Other New Business

o   As BoR, the PVS BoR follows the same stipulations and criteria as the National BoR. One of the things we do is charge a $250 filing fee. As far as Ward Foley, Chair of the BoR, remembers the PVS fee has always been the same as the National Fee. Foley is asking the Board whether or not it would be appropriate to have this wording in the By-Laws. All members of the Board feel that yes it should be in our By-Laws. Foley will make a recommendation of the wording to be presented to the House of Delegates.

o   Sectionals – It was noted that several sessions were delayed due to lack of timers. Can we try to brainstorm ideas to encourage more timers to volunteer in meets such as these prior to adding additional large meets to the PVS schedule.

§  From an Eastern Zone stand point there was a lot of email traffic regarding issues such as this. There will be quite a bit of discussion regarding contracts for Sectionals and Zones, including stipulations on being awarded the meets and consequences for not following through properly at the upcoming Eastern Zone meeting in May.

§  Because there is still an ongoing issues securing timers for most meets held in PVS the Officials were asked to discuss and present a recommendation to submit to the Competition Committee and Board at the May meetings.

·         Adjourn – motion to adjourn, seconded and approved.