Board of Directors Committee of the Whole Meeting - June 10, 2008

DRAFT PENDING APPROVAL at the PVS Board Meeting – September, 2008



7:00 PM – TUESDAY, JUNE 10, 2008


ATTENDANCE: Board Members: Greg York, PVS Chair; Art Davis PVS; Riley Eaton PVS; Bill Marlin PVS; Virginia Ratcliff PVS; Jim Thompson PVS; Executive Director John Ertter; Non-Voting Board Members: Linda Klopfenstein, PVS; Brian Pawlowicz, CUBU; Guests John Hirschmann, PVS; Tim Husson, PVS; Miriam Lynch, CUBU; Naomi Lynch, CUBU; Paris Jacobs, MACH; Draper Epps, DCPR ; Arthur Lopez, Nadar Por Vida; John Cruzat, USAS Staff; Cecil Gordon, Chair, USA-S Chair Diversity Committee . ..

CALL TO ORDER: Greg York attempted to call the meeting was called to order at approximately 7:04pm. It was noted that due to bad weather causing traffic delays and other factors, the necessary legal quorom of having seven voting Board members present could not be established -- therefore no proposals or recommendations could be officially passed at this meeting. Therefore, the meeting continued as a meeting of the Committee of the Whole.

AGENDA: John Ertter, Executive Director, provided the Board with a proposed Agenda that was adopted used as the basis for the discussions held.during this meeting of the Committee of the Whole.

John Erttter indicated that in the future all draft board minutes would be circulated within two days of a meeting to those in attendance so they could be reviewed for completeness and accuracy while people's memory of the meeting was fresh.

EXECUTIVE SESSION; At the General Chair's request, the Board met in an unofficial executive session to discuss two matters of privilege. At the conclusion of the executive session, the following public statement was made regarding the matters discussed. "Two teams were asked to attend the Board meeting to discuss circumstances that occurred at previously held club sponsored meets. One team attended and presented a report addressing outstanding questions. The other team had sent the General Chairman a written report earlier in the week. Those Board members in attendance were happy with responses of the two clubs and the outcome of the meeting. Therefore, those Board members present consider the matters closed."

ATHLETE REPRESENTATIVE: Virginia Ratcliff, Athlete Representative, reported she is working on the Interview with Kate Ziegler for the PVS website. She is waiting for Kate to have enough time to talk while training for the upcoming Trials.

EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR: Ertter expressed concerning over some escalating administrative expenses. Ertter stated he will be following expenses for/at Convention closer. He addressed areas where PVS can save including buying tickets will in advance to get an economical airfare. He circulated a proposed policy on reimbursement policies for convention, which could not be formally voted upon due to the absence of a legal quorum. He also reminded all going to go with a goal and bring back great information to the LSC. John also spoke about the availability of pools for rental being tight and the need for sites for the upcoming SC season.

Separately, the water and air quality conditions were discussed as they pertain to the upcoming LC meet at Lee District. This was a result of conditions at a meet held earlier this year at that facility. Bill Marlin stated he has been in touch with Fairfax County Park Authority (FCPA) regarding the matter. An on- site committee of coaches has been formed in case of further issues should arise at this site.

Pawlowicz stated that CUBU would like to run sessions of Time Trials after each day at the LC Distance meet. They are doing so since a session of the Maryland States meet had to be cancelled due to weather conditions and they wanted to give athletes a chance to get a time in events they had been planning to swim at that meet. Since no formal actions could be taken at this meeting, it was decided to send this request to the Board for an e-vote. It was also noted since the meet was being held in VSI territory, they would also have to be involved in approving either an amended or separate sanction. Note; This e-vote was conducted and matter passed on June 16th.

Ertter informed the Board that one LSC member still owes over $5,000.00 for various fees. His recommendation is to not allow this team to register for next season if the matter has not been resolved in the interim.

There is also an outstanding credit of $3,700. from the bus company hired to transport the SC Zone team. John stated he has tried in earnest to collect the funds and asked permission, as a last resort, to be able to contact our attorney if needed to pursue the collection. Those present unofficially supported giving this permission.

Erttter also received unofficial permission to collect any further outstanding fees from PVS clubs as he deems necessary.

The Board in the interim since its April meeting had received monthly financial reports showing that PVS’ current assets on hand were $759,648 as of April 30, 2008 and $740,881 as of May 31, 2008. No questions about the reports were raised at the meeting.

WEBMASTER'S REPORT: Tim Husson, PVS Webmaster, distributed his report previously sent out to the Board . This included both his June 2008 report and a redistribution of his prior March 2008 report. Discussion was had regarding whether to discontinue use of the Hy-Tek supported TMOnline database. It was explained its use predates the loading starting in September 2003 of almost all times into USA-S SWIMS database. The only times found in TMOnline, but not in SWIMS, are 25y events and 100y relays (swum by 8/U swimmers) and split times. Many of the other pros and cons of doing so are contained in the Webmaster's June 2008 report to the Board. After discussion, the Board informally endorsed Husson's recommendation is to discontinue use of the TMOnline database. York expressed his confidence in Husson's stand. Tim highlighted how the reporting of results (including posting of results had worked at the various PVS Championships and Eastern Zone Sectional meet held in March. See his written report for more details. .

ADMINISTRATIVE DIVISION: Art Davis, Administrative Vice-Chair advised the Board that he had no items that required their attention at this meeting

OPERATIONS DIVISION: Karl Hellman, Incoming Vice-Chair of the Operations Division, was present. York mentioned that there was still equipment that needed to be picked up at Oak Marr. A discussion was also held about the general need for repair of the GMU scoreboard, for which PVS had contributed money this past winter for its repair. He also urged that an inventory of equipment (including its condition) be undertaken prior to the start of the 2008-09 SC season.

SENIOR DIVISION: Riley Eaton, Senior Chair, informed the Board that for the upcoming PVS Senior LC Championship Meet they have turned down more requests from teams outside the LSC to attend this meet. This is consistent with guidance issued previously regarding the percentage of entries that can be from non-PVS teams..

AGE GROUP DIVISION: Bill Marlin, Age Group Chair, informed the Board the Dave Green, RMSC, has been selected as the PVS Age Group Coach of the Year. Marlin also mentioned that at Competition, a straw poll was conducted and Competition voted to ask PVS to support adding an additional entry to the SC Zone Team for each 10/U and 11-12 age group event. This would mean each LSC could now bring three rather than two for each event in this age group. This was done in response to a request made at the May Eastern Zone meeting that each LSC determine its position on this matter. Separately Competition also endorsed a proposal from Marlin that PVS also recommend to the zone that the 15-18 year-old age group be redefined as a 15-16 year-old age group.

Bill Marlin stated as Competition Commitee Chair, he will wait until the next Board meeting to present the other issues coming from the May 2008 Compeititon meeting as the Board needs to formally vote on whether to approve these recommendations.

GENERAL CHAIR: Greg York announced his recommendations of attendees for this year's Convention. That list was provided to Linda Klopfenstein after the meeting by the Administrative Assistant.

NEW BUSINESS: John Cruzat, USAS Diversity Chair, attended the meeting as did Cecil Gordon, Chair of the USA-S Diverstiy Committee. Several others with an interest in this matter also were in attendance. A lengthy discussion was held on how PVS could both better promote and support its diversity programs as well as support USA-S in their efforts in this regard. Possible PVS support for the Black History Meet and how to be most effective in making this support available was also discussed. York offered to ask the House of Delegates next May to create an additional seat on the Board for whomever is spear heading this initiative. The general theme of the discussion was for continued and improved communication between all involved.

NEXT BOARD MEETING: The Chair announced that its next Board meeting will be held on Tueday, July 8th, at a time and place TBD. (It was originally proposed that the meeting be held on Thursday, July 10th - but it was pointed out that PVS Senior and Junior LC distance events would be swum that evening.)

ADJOURNMENT: The meeting was adjourned at 10:00 pm.