As approved at February 1998 BofD Meeting


JANUARY 20, 1998
ROOM #107

The January PVS Board of Directors meeting was called to order by Dick Rankin, General Chairman.
In attendance were: Thirl Crudup, Ward Foley, Bob Fout, Sue Gosline, Mary Ann Henderson, Marty Henderson, John Hirschmann, Linda Klopfenstein, Kit Mathews, Jack Mechler, Ron Taylor, Jan Wolff, and Evelyn Taylor.

Minutes for November 18, 1997 were approved.

Treasurer’s Report: Bob distributed the financial report for December 1997. Checking: Income $66,563.80; Expenses $55,232.08; Balance $37,585.21.

Registration Report: Mary Ann provided a report indicating 5495 Athletes; 573 Non-Athletes, 36 Clubs. She provided a new Report of Occurrence for distribution to Clubs. John Hirschmann will provide a results disk from 1997 JO meet for registration check.


Ward reported on the committee’s January 3, meeting. Minutes of this meeting were distributed. The 1998 LC and 1998-99 SC schedules were distributed (ATTACHED). 1998 LC bids will be awarded soon, and hope to publish next week. A pool is still needed for the July AG meet. University of Maryland has been requested for Senior Champs LC and Age Group Champs LC.

The 1998 SC Zone staff was elected. Head Coach is Evan Stiles; Head AG Coach, Shawn Fischer; Staff, Blair Cameron and Ted Pierson. Two staff positions remain to be filled. Applications for those positions have been received from Katherine Kasska, George Massey, Eric Waananen, and Rich Bettencourt, and ordered by date received. MOTION PASSED to select first two applicants pending verification of registration. Ward will contact.

JO Meet: Practice of inviting out of town clubs was discussed.


MOTION PASSED to approve Competition Committee minutes.

Long Course meet participation requirement for Travel support: This item will be held over until April meeting

Ward reported that Steve has appointed an ad hoc committee to look into PVS Travel Assistance. Members are Steve, Ward, Greg York, Mark Eldridge, and Linda Klopfenstein.

TRAVEL ASSISTANCE: Linda reported a letter has been received from Paul Bergen, SOLO, requesting assistance for US Open for one of his swimmers. MOTION PASSED to refer to travel subcommittee.


House of Delegates: Dick reported that an offer of meeting space for the HoD Meeting has been made. The location is at Booz-Allen & Hamilton, Inc., in Tysons Corner. He recommends approval for Sunday, May 17 at 2:00 p.m. at this location. A notice for the meeting will be prepared.

Nominating Committee: formation of this committee will be deferred until February meeting. Positions up for election are Age Group Division Chairman, Operations Division Chairman, Administrative Division Chairman, Strategic Planning Committee Chairman, and two positions on the Review Board.

1998 Phillips Outstanding Service Award: seeing no nominations, by consensus, this award will not be presented.

Beginning in March, the PVS newsletter will be on the web in a new format. The next PVS Family Mail goes out March 1. John was instructed to post newsletter articles as Becca Peck submits them. Articles are due to Becca by Feb. 10.

A letter of complaint was received concerning the Zone Team selection policy and the requirements for selection of the second swimmer. Dick will respond.

A letter was received from a parent expressing concern for treatment of swimmers. Dick will respond.

Meet Fees Language: Steve Ercolano is drafting specific language. Report deferred until February meeting.

Ward presented new language for Meet Entry Fees (new second paragraph; add to page 14 of Policy & Procedures Manual). After discussion and modification, MOTION PASSED TO APPROVE. New language reads:

Any team that enters more than 10 swimmers and does not submit entries using Hy-Tek, will incur a surcharge of $1.00 per swimmer.

Dick requested the Office provide him with a report of attendance of Board members for Sept. 1997 – Jan. 1998.


Sue reported on the LSC Workshop planned for April:

Saturday night, 4-6 p.m.: Coach’s Mixer (PVS gift to Workshop, $1800)

Speaker may be arranged

Sunday morning Workshop Attendance approximately 375

$30.00 per person, registration and refreshments

USS Speakers



Sunday afternoon 3 Tracks

Coaches (100) Speakers

Parents (150) Panel

Officials (125) Communications & Working relationships

Gold Medal Clinic for athletes (approximately 200) at Providence Rec. Center

12 & Under and 13 & Over

$25.00 per athlete

Sunday evening Banquet Attendance approximately 700

$40.00 per person

Fashion show by Aardvark

Key Note Speaker

Karen Schaeffer is working on getting vendors. Fee is $100. Committee is attempting to contact former PVS Olympians, and needs help with PR.

Sue requested funding from PVS to offset the cost to bring in Olympians. After discussion, it was decided that they would be PVS’s guests at the Banquet, and that local housing would be provided for Olympians coming from out of town. Assistance for travel will be investigated and Sue will bring a recommendation to the Board in February.

The cost of the LSC Workshop will be collected fees, plus $8000 from PVS.


John Hirschmann reported on the success of the web page.


Thirl distributed the Division report (ATTACHED). Steve, Kit, Ward, and Thirl will bring language to the Board for deck seeding relative to positive check-in. After discussion of distribution of meet results, it was agreed that disk results would go to Webmaster for posting on web, and that Webmaster would provide a hard copy to Distribution for Family Mail.


Bob presented information on his research into the Investment Policy proposal. He has met with Steve and Ward concerning restructuring the financing of meets. Steve will make the presentation to the Board. Over the last five years PVS has lost approximately $10,000 per year. The comparison of operating budgets for FY 89 through FY 97 was discussed. Bob distributed the proposed Meet Management/Finance Restructuring data (ATTACHED). Bob was directed to build a strategy for presentation to the House of Delegates, with his recommendations. Budget input is due to Bob by February 10.

Meeting adjourned 10:00 p.m.


Respectfully submitted,


Evelyn Taylor

Administrative Assistant





FEBRUARY 17, 1998

APRIL 21, 1998

JUNE 16, 1998


HOUSE OF DELEGATES: MAY 17, 1998 at 2:00 PM at Booz-Allen & Hamilton, Tysons Corner, VA