As approved at April 1999 BofD Meeting


FEBRUARY 16, 1999
ROOM #151

The February PVS Board of Directors meeting was called to order by Dick Rankin, General Chairman. In attendance were: Linda Crudup, Thirl Crudup, Manga Dalizu, Steve Ercolano, Ward Foley, Bob Fout, Mary Ann Henderson, John Hirschmann, Linda Klopfenstein, Kit Mathews, and Dave Scibetta.

The January 19, 1999 minutes were approved after adding, "Three Board of Review members are also up for election in May."


Bob presented the financial report, which showed a balance of $201,754.07. Bob also requested that any needs for next year be sent to him by March l5. His e-mail address is


Mary Ann reported as of 2/16/99 there are 5,577 registered athletes. Of that number 4 are in the category of outreach. There are 36 registered clubs, and 509 registered non-athletes. Of that number 45 are family members, representing 90 of the non-athlete members.


Dick presented an outline for the duties of the Administrative Assistant's position and a proposed schedule for filling that position. A discussion followed concerning the desirability of searching for two or more people who would work together to cover the responsibilities for the Administrative Office, Registration, and Mailing. The discussion also included the possibility of establishing an office separate from an individual's residence. Anyone with specific concerns or ideas should get them to Dick by the 22nd.


Kit requested that comments about the handout showing Potomac Valley Divisions and the responsibilities of each be sent to him by the 15th of March. The following changes were made at the meeting. Zone Representation was put under Vice Chair/Age Group. Awards and Outstanding Athlete were placed under Vice Chair/Senior. Steve Ercolano distributed a handout with proposed changes for the Policy and Procedures Manual from the Competition Committee. A schedule for providing input to Kit for the Policy and Procedures Manual was agreed upon so the Manual would be ready fore the April board meeting.


Dave provided a handout from a meeting in Colorado and discussed the $250,000 available in grant money. Information concerning this money is on the USA web site.

The PVS web site had the most active month to date. High school meet results are up, as well as the results of the meets to which all PVS athletes were invited. Discussion followed concerning a delay in posting "invitation only" meets which had met all requirements. John pointed out that there is a procedure that requires the meet to be signed off by the Administrative Assistant. At this particular time, she was not available and the meet will be posted as soon as she returns. It was suggested that this procedure be reviewed.


Thirl distributed the division report. The conduct of distance meets was discussed. Some feel there are problems of posting expected times for swims and times when athletes are actually reporting. Meets are not going off as planned.


Steve reported that the Thursday night session for PVS SC Senior Champs will be at George Mason University. There will be 8 lanes for racing, 3 for warm up/ warm down. Steve also reported that he has had meetings with George Mason and the University of Maryland regarding their availability for the LC season. He is still working on fees. The question was also raised what Potomac Valley should do about meets that are poorly run. It was decided that the only recourse is to not award a meet to that team. The problem is to establish a system to remind the Competition Committee and the Board of Directors of the problems when it is time to assign meets for the next year.

Thirl will work on a policy concerning seeding of deck entries as part of updating the Policies and Procedures Manual.


Ward announced there will be a meeting and work out for the Zone Team. Linda Crudup reported the Web page has had great response from people looking for times, etc. for the Team. 12 and unders will have been selected by the time of the Zone Team workout. The top 6 of l3 and overs are also invited.


Steve volunteered to bring nominations to the April meeting for the Phillips Award.

The Nominating Committee is working on establishing the slate of proposed officers for the l999 elections. The PVS House of Delegates will meet Tuesday, May l8th at 7:30 PM.


Ward attended a Fairfax County meeting concerning a wish list for a proposed facility next to West County High School. It will be self-generating in revenue. It will not take users from current facilities. Ward recommended that it will have 2 pools, each with 8 lanes and 4 feet deep, and quality lighting. A decision will be made by the fall of 99.

The meeting was adjourned before 10:00!!!


Respectfully submitted,


Mary Ann Henderson

BoD MEETINGS FOR 1998-99 at Falls Church High School, Room #151, 7:30-10:00 p.m.:

Tuesday, April 20
Tuesday, June 15

HoD MEETING: Tuesday, May 18, 1999 at Booz-Allen & Hamilton, Inc., McLean, VA <