General Chairman's Report
July 19, 2001 Report
- MCI Center has withdrawn its participation with the Chesapeake Region 2012 Coalition in bidding for the 2004 Olympic Team Trials. Consequently, CRC 2012 has withdrawn its bid for the Trials. Irresolvable safety and engineering concerns about the weight of the water in competition and practice/warm-up temporary pools on the arena's floor, were the reasons for MCI backing out.
- College Swimming Coaches Association of America has established an Olympic Sports
Alliance committee to focus on a growing problem in American swimming today, the reduction
of men's and women's collegiate teams. In an effort to stem this tide, CSCAA is going to
begin the process to organize swimming parents, coaches, and athletes to develop a plan of
action as well as a political power base. Anyone in the association interested in getting
involved, please contact me.
- Of the four individuals I considered for at-large voting delegates to the USAS convention, John Hirschmann and Linda Klopfenstein received approval from Dale Neuburger, President, USA Swimming.
- Voting Board members for USAS convention are: Thirl Crudup (General Chair), Kit Mathews
(Administrative Vice-Chair), Jim Garner (Senior Vice-Chair), Bob Walker (Age Group Vice-
Chair), Kelly Burke (Senior Athlete Representative), John Blaschke (Coaches Representative).
- Mark Eldridge notified me of his resignation from the Board of Review. An appointment will be forthcoming to fulfill the unexpired term (one year). Board of Review is expected to have a chairman elected before the end of August, 2001.
- USA Swimming's Membership Dues Ad Hoc Task Force has been tasked with reviewing the
2003 membership dues. This committee may develop recommendations to go to the Executive
committee in August for ultimate approval by the House this September. They are being
charged with evaluating what new funds could offer to USA Swimming and the sport of
swimming, and evaluate the means to raise these funds and have a meaningful impact.
- Splash TV can be viewed on the Outdoor Life Network. Complete schedule can be found on the USA Swimming website.