PVS Officials

Minutes of Officials Committee Meetings

AUGUST 28, 2006

Members present: Jim Van Erden Chair, Boots Hall (via teleconference), Jim Garner, Sue Schwartz, Denice Wepasnick, Bob Brofft, Jack Schaeffer, Tim Husson, Ron Whalen, Dick Griffith, Pam Starke Reed, Jim Thompson, Jack Neill, Bob Anderson and Rita Page.

The meeting convened at 6:45 pm at Jim Van Erden's Office in Arlington, VA.

Tim & Jim's Report on Colorado Trip: Jim Thompson and Tim Husson attended a "New Referee's" workshop sponsored by USA Swimming in May in Colorado Springs. Jim brought copies of a report he had prepared on the meeting and distributed to attendees. Tim gave a briefing on the highlights of the workshop where many interesting topics were discussed including fly-over starts. The basic feeling of the USA Swimming Officials who conducted the clinic was that fly-over starts were not a issue as they were used all the time at National meets as well as at other LSC's throughout the country.

The new national certification procedure was also discussed but the details still weren't very clear to the attendees at the workshop. There are considerably more details required under the new certification procedures and USA Swimming is continuing to update the Certification materials to help clarify the process.

It was also suggested at the workshop that local LSC's recognize their officials that attend National meets in some way. Tim suggested using the website for this purpose in a manner similar to how we recognize or list our swimmers that attend these meets.

Another topic suggested at the workshop was for LSC's to develop guidelines for consistency in the way meets are run. It was decided that we would discuss this in more detail at the next meeting in September.

Fly-Over Starts: The Committee had agreed to discuss Fly-Over starts at this meeting, and the discussion included the following:

Jim Van Erden called for a vote of the Officials Committee to make a recommendation to the Board to allow the use of fly-over starts at our meets with specific guidelines to be drafted on how to use them and specific meet criteria. The vote was 13 in favor and 2 against making the recommendation. Jim Thompson, Jack Neill, Pam Starke Reed and Tim Husson agreed to work on drafting up the guidelines.

PVS Clinics for 2006-07 Season: Boots Hall has scheduled a Stroke and Turn clinic at Burke Centre for October 1, 2006 from 7:30 - 9:30 pm. Clinics have also been scheduled at the Harvest Moon meet at Herndon Community Center on October 7, 2006 for Starters from 7:30 - 9:30 am and Stroke and Turns from 10:00 am to 12:00 pm. Denice Wepasnick has scheduled clinics at Olney for October 21, 2006 Starters from 9:30 - 11:00 am and Stroke and Turn Judges from 11:30 am to 1:30 pm. We would like to schedule a Hy-Tek and Colorado clinic on October 8, 2006 at Herndon. Jim Thompson will look into availability.

Jim Van Erden would like to schedule the Referee clinic for September 30, 2006 from 9:00 am to 1:00 pm. Jim Garner will check into the availability of MAC for this clinic. Other facilities discussed for possible clinics were Germantown the weekend of November 11 & 12. Denice Wepasnick will follow up with Pam Ambrose. PVS will have to pay for the use of this site. Ron Whalen will also look into the possibility of using MLK for clinics.

When discussing the need for more Hy-Tek and Colorado training clinics the committee determined that Sue Schwartz, Jim Thompson and Tim Husson would be excellent choices as trainers. We will try to schedule those as well.

Boots Hall stated that Pat Lunsford has volunteered to hold an Advanced Starter clinic sometime this year. She will check with him for available dates.

Jim Van Erden wanted to see if we could put a pre-registration form on the website for clinics. Tim Husson will work on this and put the clinic schedule on the web. Bob Brofft will look for opportunities to hold clinics on Saturday mornings during practices. Sue Schwartz will look into scheduling clinics at Fairland during meets or practices. Jack Neill suggested incorporating a "sales pitch" for Stroke & Turn officials into the Timers briefing.

Instructors Materials: It was recommended that all those teaching clinics send the teaching outlines and materials to Jim Van Erden so he can assure that everyone is operating from the same material. Rita Page will send the starter outline that she and Denice Wepasnick will use, Bob Brofft will send the stroke & Turn material and Jim Thompson will work on and send Hy-Tek materials to be used.

It was stressed that we should establish a consistent approach to starting and to include it in our teaching and handout materials. Ron Whalen will work on that and pass it along to be included. Jim Van Erden plans to purchase an LCD projector to be used for clinics. Rita Page will put the current videos on DVD's.

Give Away Items: Boots Hall asked that the various items for timers and officials (i.e. pencils, pins, pens, etc) be brought to the referee clinic and given to the referees to hand out at the various meets to the timers.

Jim Van Erden reconfirmed that the Committee would like to have "PVS OC Shirts for use at meets. He will also be ordering white shirts for members of the officials committee labeled with "Officials Committee".

Certification/Recertification Criteria: The Committee reviewed the criteria for officials on the current list that will have their USA Swimming registration fee paid by PVS. Rita Page stated that all officials must be currently registered with USA Swimming and current in their PVS certification. Hy-Tek and ETS operators are not required to register with USA Swimming. Rita was asked to double-check the list that was submitted to Sumie Emory earlier to make certain everyone that should be included is on the list.

The Board passed new requirements for teams to have a minimum number of Certified Officials on June 14, 2006. Depending on the team's size, there will now be a minimum number of required certified and participating officials. Teams with less than 25 swimmers are not required to have any officials. Teams with 26-50 swimmers are required to have at least 1 official. Teams with 51-100 swimmers are required to have 3 officials. For each additional count of 30 swimmers (or a portion of 30) on a team the requirement will increase by 1 official. The penalty to be assessed to the teams not meeting these requirements is $200 for each official not registered.

New Referees: Tim Husson suggested one additional name to the list of those suggested at the July meeting.

Miscellaneous Items: The Committee discussed the possibility of offering incentives for teams to include disabled swimmers.

Boots Hall asked if the National Certification meets have been established and if additional PVS National Certification meets where planned. No one was certain. Jim Van Erden will check.

The Board approved the additional funds for the Officials Committee budget. That money will be used in part to help defray the costs of officials attending and working National meets. It was suggested that to determine the amount of money to be reimbursed guidelines should be drawn up that are similar to the ones PVS uses to assist the athletes. Ron Whalen volunteered to draft those guidelines. The funds will come from the Officials Committee budget but will be awarded by the Board.

Meeting adjourned at 9:00 pm.

Next Meeting: September 24, 2006 at Jim Van Erden's House for a cook out from 1-4 pm.

Respectfully submitted,
Rita Page
Committee Member