PVS Officials

Minutes of PVS Officials Committee Meetings

Minutes of
PVS Officials Committee Meeting
February 16, 2011

Members present: Jack Neill, Donna Considine, Steed Edwards, Jim Garner, Boots Hall, Mike Rubin, Jim Thompson, Jim Van Erden.

The meeting convened at 7pm at the Montgomery Aquatic Center, Rockville, MD.

Minutes: Approval of the minutes of the January 19, 2011 meeting was deferred until the next meeting.

Background Checks: The vast majority of PVS officials have completed the required USA Swimming criminal background check. The committee reviewed the list of PVS officials who did not complete the process prior to the February 15 deadline. It is possible that officials who did complete the process may not yet have received an updated membership card for 2011. Meet referees should be mindful of this for the next few weeks. Nationally, there appears to have been minimal backlash against this new requirement. PVS is one of the few LSCs that is reimbursing officials for the cost of the background check, and the committee once again commended the PVS Board of Directors for its foresight and support in this matter.

Updates on Upcoming Championship Meets:

Senior Champs - Evaluators will be Pat Lunsford, Boots Hall, Tim Husson, and Jack Neill; the list of officials is filling-up rapidly, with many requesting evaluation.

Junior Champs - Fewer applications to officiate this meet, as of this date.

14&U Junior Olympics - Evaluators will be Donna Considine, Steed Edwards, Tim Husson, Don Riedlinger, Pam Starke-Reed; a fair number of applications and requests for evaluation, as of this date.

USA-S Membership for Table Officials: The Committee re-affirmed its position that officials who regularly work table positions at PVS meets, and who have joined USA Swimming as non- athlete members, should be included on the list of officials whose USA-S registration fee is paid by the LSC after their first year as USA-S members, similar to other officials.

Representative to the PVS Board: Committee members were reminded that the position of Officials Representative to the PVS Board of Directors is open this year and nominees are currently being solicited.

Meet Referee: The committee feels that there is a need for more guidance regarding the duties and responsibilities of a Meet Referee. Jim Thompson will draft a document outlining these duties and responsibilities for the Committee's review.

Timers Briefing: Some members of the Committee felt that our current recommended timers briefing could be "tightened-up" a bit, in order to update and expedite the briefing. Donna Considine will collaborate with Rita Page to review the timers briefing and make recommendations.

Clinics: Steed Edwards suggested that we look at participation statistics from the 2010-2011 clinics, and to compare them with previous years' numbers. We will get these figures from Rita Page. A request was made to consider holding next year's Referee clinic at a Virginia location, considering that MAC in Rockville has been the site for the past several years. The Committee discussed the possibility of holding an "All Officials" clinic/meeting, or all-inclusive officials meetings in Maryland and Virginia.

Next Meeting: The next meeting is scheduled for Wednesday, April 20, 7pm at Kings Park Library, 9000 Burke Lake Road, Burke, VA.

The meeting adjourned at 8:25pm

Respectfully submitted by,
Jack Neill
LSC Officials Chair