Administrative Official Certification
- Age - 21 years or older
- Prior to beginning training, be certified as both a PVS Hy-Tek Operator and Electronic Timing System Operator
and be certified as a Hy-Tek Operator or Electronic Timing System Operator for at least 1 year
- Prior to beginning training, must have worked at least 8 sessions each on Hy-Tek and Timing System
- Attend a PVS conducted Administrative Official Clinic
- Register as a Non-Athlete Member with USA Swimming
- Serve on-deck as an apprentice with a PVS certified Administrative Referee or Administrative Official
at a minimum of six (6) different sessions at a minimum of two different PVS-sanctioned
non-Officials Qualifying meets.* Mentor must be a certified AO or AR
with at least 6 sessions done since certification. No more than one (1) session may be at a
meet that uses watches as the primary timing system and at least three (3) sessions must be
at meets that use automatic timing (i.e. touchpads). It is also recommended (but not required)
that the apprentice train at least one session at a prelim session of a prelims/finals meet and
work one session at a meet that uses buttons as the primary timing system. In addition,
it is required that two (2) sessions must include positive check-in events.
- Perform to the satisfaction of the Referee or mentoring Administrative Official and have such
performance reported to PVS on the PVS
Administrative Official Evaluation Form
- Pass the USA Swimming officials test for Administrative Official with a grade of at least 90%
- After passing the USA-S test, the apprentice must be favorably observed at the last session
by a designated PVS evaluator. The evaluation
must be performed at a meet that uses automatic timing (i.e pads) andwill be recorded on
the Administrative Official Evaluation Form.
- Complete certification requirement within one year from the date of Administrative Official clinic.
- Certification is good until the December 31 following two years after the date of issuance
- Previously certified by PVS or another USA Swimming Local Swim Committee (LSC) as an
- If from another LSC, fulfill all relevant requirements of the PVS Officials' Transfer Policy.
- Have a current membership in USA Swimming as a non-athlete member.
- Must have worked at least four sessions in each year since last certification/recertification at PVS-sanctioned, non-Officials
Qualifying meets*. Each year, at least two of these sessions must have
been as an administrative official.
- Attend a PVS conducted Administrative Official Recertification Clinic.
- Pass the USA Swimming Recertifying Administrative Official Test with a grade of at least 90%.
- Submit the online
Officials Recertification Request
- Recertification is good for two years after the date your
prior certification expired. Recertification as an Administrative Official also extends the certifications
for Hy-Tek Operator and Colorado Timing Systems Operator.
* Excludes observed and approved meets, such as high school, college, and masters