- Age - 21 years or older
- Have been a certified Starter and Chief Judge for at least one year to be eligible.
- Register as a Non-Athlete Member with USA Swimming
- Be invited by the PVS Officials Committee
- Attend a special PVS Officials Clinic for First Time Referees
- Attend a PVS conducted Referee Clinic
- Serve on-deck as an apprentice with at least two different PVS certified Referees
(each of who has been certified for at least one year by PVS). Train a minimum or six (6) different
sessions at a minimum of three different PVS-sanctioned non-Officials Qualifying
meets*. No more than three sessions may be at intra-team, dual, or tri meets.
- If not already certified as a
Colorado Timing System
Administrative Official, work at least two familiarization sessions
in each of those positions. Certification in these positions is
not required to become a referee, but the familiarization sessions may
be used as training sessions to achieve certification in those
- Perform to the satisfaction of the Referee and have such
performance reported to PVS on the PVS Referee Evaluation Form.
- Pass the USA Swimming officials tests for Certifying Referee,
Administrative Referee, Clerk of Course and Timing Judge with a combined grade of at least 90%.
- Be favorably observed at the last training session by a designated PVS evaluator.
The evaluation will be recorded on the Referee Evaluation Form.
- Complete certification requirement within 24 months from the date of Referee clinic.
- Certification is good until the December 31 following two years after the date of issuance.
- Previously certified by PVS, the YMCA or another USA Swimming Local Swim Committee (LSC) as a Referee
|2.||If from another LSC or the YMCA, fulfill all relevant requirements
of the PVS Officials' Transfer Policy
- Work at least six sessions per year at PVS-sanctioned non-Officials Qualifying meets*,
at least one of which will be as a Referee, and at least one as a Stroke & Turn Judge.
- Attend a PVS conducted Referee Clinic at least once every two years
- Pass once very two years the USA Swimming Referee Recertification Test with a grade of at least 90%.
- Maintain valid USA Swimming registration
- Submit the online PVS
Officials Recertification Request
- Recertification is good for two years after the date your prior certification expired.
Recertification also renews all other LSC certifications.
* Excludes observed and approved meets, such as high school, college, and masters