- Age - 18 years or older
- Prior to beginning training, be certified as a Stroke & Turn Judge for at least one year and have
worked a minimum of 15 sessions as a certified Stroke & Turn Judge in USA Swimming sanctioned meets.
- Attend a PVS conducted Starter's Clinic prior to beginning training sessions
- Be registered as a non-athlete with USA Swimming
- Serve on-deck as an apprentice with a PVS certified Starter or Referee at a minimum of
six (6) different sessions at a minimum of three different PVS-sanctioned non-Officials
Qualifying meets*; however, two of these sessions may be done at
USA Swimming sanctioned meets outside PVS if the mentor is a PVS certified starter.
Start sufficient heats to allow the Referee or Starter Mentor to evaluate performance
at each session and start at least 125 heats overall. The starter apprentice is encouraged
to include at least one (1) distance session in their training.
- Perform to the satisfaction of the Referee or Starter Mentor and have such
performance reported to PVS on the PVS Starter Evaluation Form
- Pass the USA Swimming officials tests for Recertifying Stroke & Turn
and Certifying Starter with a combined grade of at least 90%.
- Starts must be favorably observed at the last training session
by a designated PVS evaluator. The evaluation
will be recorded on the PVS Starter Evaluation Form.
- Complete certification requirement within one year from the
date of Starter's clinic.
- Certification is good until the December 31 following two years after the date of issuance.
- Previously certified by PVS, the YMCA or another USA Swimming Local Swim
Committee (LSC) as a Starter
- If from another LSC or the YMCA, fulfill all relevant requirements
of the PVS Officials' Transfer Policy
- Work at least four sessions per year at PVS-sanctioned non-Officials Qualifying
meets*, at least two of which will be as a Starter,
and at least one as a Stroke & Turn Judge or Chief Judge
- Attend a PVS conducted Starter's Clinic at least once every two years
- Pass once evry two years the USA Swimming Starter Recertification Test
with a grade of at least 90%.
- Maintain valid USA Swimming registration
- Submit the online
Officials Recertification Request
- Recertification is good for two years after the date your
prior certification expired.
* Excludes observed and approved meets, such as high school, college, and masters