- Age - 18 years or older
- Be certified as a Stroke & Turn Judge for at least one year
- Attend a PVS conducted Starter's Clinic
- Register as a non-athlete with USA Swimming
- Serve on-deck as a trainee with a PVS certified Starter or Referee
at a minimum of five (5) different sessions at a minimum of three
different PVS-sanctioned non-Officials Qualifying
Start sufficient heats to allow the Referee or Starter Mentor to
- Perform to the satisfaction of the Referee and have such
performance reported to PVS on the PVS Starter Evaluation Form
- Pass the USA Swimming officials tests for Recertifying Stroke & Turn
and Certifying Starter with a combined grade of at least 90%.
- Starts must be favorably observed at the last training session
by a designated PVS evaluator. The evaluation
will be recorded on the PVS Starter Evaluation Form.
- Complete certification requirement within one year from the
date of Starter's clinic.
- Certification is good until the December 31 following two years after the date of issuance.
- Previously certified by PVS, the YMCA or another USA Swimming Local Swim
Committee (LSC) as a Starter
- If from another LSC or the YMCA, fulfill all relevant requirements
of the PVS Officials' Transfer Policy
- Work at least four sessions per year at PVS-sanctioned non-Officials Qualifying
meets*, at least two of which will be as a Starter,
and at least one as a Stroke & Turn Judge or Chief Judge
- Attend a PVS conducted Starter's Clinic at least once every two years
- Pass once evry two years the USA Swimming Starter Recertification Test
with a grade of at least 90%.
- Maintain valid USA Swimming registration
- Submit the online
Officials Recertification Request
- Recertification is good for two years after the date your
prior certification expired.
* Excludes observed and approved meets, such as high school, college, and masters